What is National Zakat Foundation?
National Zakat Foundation (NZF) awards Zakat grants in the UK. NZF supports and empowers individuals in poverty and invests in community development. NZF does this to enable devotion to God to flourish in society as a source of prosperity and harmony for all.
Since it was founded in 2011 through to April 2018, National Zakat Foundation (NZF):
- Supported almost 9,000 individuals in poverty
- Given out £8.7m of Zakat in the UK
And in 2017 alone, NZF:
- Helped 3,727 individuals in poverty
- Distributed £3.6m of Zakat
- Supported families in Grenfell tragedy, and co-ordinated the Grenfell Muslim Response Unit for survivors’ ongoing needs
- Nurtured 27 emerging leaders in the UK
- Explained calculation in over 200 workshops
National Zakat Foundation (NZF) seeks to revive and uphold the third pillar. It is UK’s only Zakat institution. NZF’s mission is to distribute Zakat transformatively within the United Kingdom.
NZF distributes over 75% of Zakat to support and empower individuals in poverty. These people include some of the most vulnerable members of the community such as: the homeless, refugees, asylum seekers and the elderly.
NZF invests in community development by distributing a critical but smaller portion for better public perception, religious scholarship and literacy, and effective representation.
More information can be found in About Us.
To achieve the transformative impact of Zakat distribution, NZF has developed a range of products and services to support Zakat payers. This includes Calculation resources and many ways to pay Zakat.